As improbable as some may seem, here are my writer dreams besides being on bestseller lists.
- Be the half of a well-known literary couple like Ransom Riggs and Tahereh Mafi, Kaveh Akbar and Paige Lewis, Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer. (A girl can dream.)
- Have a room with a view in the house the is exclusively for writing and reading. This room will have lots of bookshelves!
- Make enough money from writing and its related duties such as speaking events, so that I have the option to quit my job (I don’t know that I’d ever quit my day job, though. I don’t see myself as a writer who needs the whole day to write (and I know this is very different for every writer, their genres, preferences, and goals.)
- Have one of my books or works taught at schools like Sara Kay’s and Clint Smith’s spoken word.
- Become as well known as Stephen King, Paulo Coehlo, and J.K. Rowling.
- Take a picture of my book on the shelves of bookstores next to the books of well-known authors.
- Read the quotes readers share of my work.
- Have a nemesis like Roxane Gay. Roxanne’s tweets about her nemesis are comical and remain mysterious because she never reveals who her nemesis is.
- Speak in a panel.
- Write a memoir and publish dairies (I’m still not sure if I want to publish my journals during my lifetime).
- Write memorable dedications and acknowledgements in my books. I love Kaveh’s “who all of this is meant to impress” to Paige Lewis in his acknowledgements of his poetry collection Calling a Wolf a Wolf. (Y’all, I’m a hopeless romantic, and I don’t know that I ever want to change this part of me.)
What are your writer dreams?